Sunday, March 13, 2011

What's In A Name?

Where do the names for Hampton Paper images come from? The Julia

The Madison

In Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Juliet says


"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Now, the only reason I remember this was because my 9th grade English teacher at Vestavia Hills High made me memorize this as well as a few other Shakespeare passages including Julius Cesar "Friends, Romans, Countryman". At least I am finding some use for the information.

This brings me to something that has always fascinated me --names of colors and products. From lipstick, to nail polish to paint. The names are an art form in themselves. I sometimes get a good laugh from the name of an OPI nail polish I'm Not Really a Waitress, Peony for your Thoughts and Bubble Bath (my sig color). Lipsticks have great names too Snob, Do Tell and Pretty Please - Paint colors are no exception with names like I've Got The Blues, Gumdrop and French Canvas.

I wish I was as clever when naming the Hampton Paper images. Truth be told my husband usually names them when he adds the images to the collection on line hence names like "fishing" and "fishing caught one". I cannot take responsibility for those!

Two images I did name are the shoes, The Madison and The Julia. Probably not much of a mystery for where the names came from but, The Madison is from one of my all time favorite movies, Splash. Madison you might remember is the name Daryll Hannah gives herself while walking down Madison Avenue with Tom Hanks because her real name cant translate without breaking glass. The Julia is named after the one and only ....my favorite actress of all time Julia Roberts.

Maybe when Hampton Paper hits it big time I will hire someone who's only job is to name the images. Cant wait for that! I should start taking resumes now.

No comments:

Post a Comment