Monday, September 26, 2011

On My Bookshelf

I have such a hard time starting a new book upon completion of one that I loved. Such is the case with Lionel Shriver's We Need to Talk About Kevin. Although I have turned the last page, I have not detached myself from the characters and find myself still thinking about them.
Lionel Shriver writes with such real emotion I was shocked to learn she doesn't have children (reminds me a bit of Memoirs of a Geisha .....I was shocked at the end to realize it was written by a man) and that no one wanted to publish the book in which the main character was such a "cold fish". As for me, I loved that her character was so real and so honest about her flaws.

Here's what's new on my bookshelf.


My dad just sent me this book, The Princessa. A friend of his said it's a must read for women in business. I just started reading this but must admit that the words in this book have changed the course of my life and after all, isn't that the whole point of reading?

Just started reading The American Heiress and love it so far. Takes place in the late 1800 in the Newport and tells the tale of a young debutant who's mom wishes her to marry English royalty.


Hoping this Lionel Shriver book, The Post-Birthday World measures up to the first one I read. I dont like to read books by the same author back to back - I appreciate them more when there is a transition book in between.



The 3 Weissmann's of Westport by Cathleen Schine looks like a fun, light read.


I also purchased Jonathan Franzen's new book Freedom and Sarah's Key.




No comments:

Post a Comment